Tuesday 16 April 2013

FASHION FLASH MOBBIN'

 photo IMG_7533_zps6f872904.jpg

Working in retail, the phrase drive footfall gets bandied about an awful lot. Usually from head office, when your figures aren't quite as high as they think they should be, and they expect you to do something about it. So you bake cakes, buy booze, make cute little cards that say "20% discount" on them, and expect the crowds to come flooding in.

They don't. It's so hard to inspire the generally apathetic public to attend such events, let alone part with their hard-earned cash. That's why I was so enthused to attend Manchester Arndale's Fashion Flash Mob on Friday. Every twenty minutes, all weekend, there were flash mobs of dancers wearing a different retailers' clothes, then straight afterwards said retailer was offering a discount; plus envelopes were handed out during the dances, one containing a number winning a hefty voucher for the store. You only found out by going into store though, to find the winning number on a board at the back of the store - some clever merchandising going on there. The dances drew large crowds, curious to see what was happening, and those crowds actually translated into footfall for the retailers featured.

I was so impressed by the organisation, how well thought through it all was, and how many retailers enthusiastically got on board. I stayed for two hours (but could have easily, and happily, stayed longer) and saw two dances, plus spent time in the pampering area of Halle Square. I found my perfect No. 7 foundation match, using the smart gadget you see on the telly ads, and also had a lovely Hotel Chocolat hand massage. No.. not with chocolate, but with their skincare range which was equally delicious to their chocolate.

Things that fashspired me most from the flash mobs: Vero Moda's cute white fluffy jumper (would go perfectly with my white shoe problem obsession, plus dungarees, pouffy skater skirts, jeans, just.. hi) and the ice cream socks with nude shoes. I immediately hit Topshop to replenish my pastel sock supply.

There are further such events planned for Manchester Arndale, so let's hope they continue to drive footfall in such a fun, inspiring way.

I'm wearing:
(yep.. I got it. It was always gonna happen)
Oasis dress
Featuring Topshop socks

 photo IMG_7529_zps97833c84.jpg
 photo IMG_7531_zps934eccca.jpg
 photo flash1_zps989a76ac.jpg
 photo IMG_7534_zps6f688d05.jpg
 photo flash2_zps7d46c008.jpg
 photo IMG_7541_zps7196f3c7.jpg
 photo IMG_7538_zps31f9497f.jpg
 photo socks_zps0d1d42f9.jpg

13 comments:

  1. Ahh this is so cool! Wish I had been there!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your hair colour!! look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post!
    I adored this concept of a fashion mob!
    Great post darling!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to go to this, definitely a really good idea to get people into the arndale. the topshop socks are cute! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful socks!!! www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. O M G - Jen needs those socks too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work in retail as well, so I know how you feel! This is an amazing idea and looks like so much fun

    A little bit Unique - Blog // Facebook // Bloglovin



    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I find it crazy that people need to be persuaded to shop haha but I love events like these! Definitely livens work up a bit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG YOUR JACKET AND THOSE SOCKS. i wanna work in retail!

    xo, ZEBRA AND MEERKAT ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a clever idea, Cabot Circus did something similar but without the envelopes... I think it would work a treat!

    Hello awesome Waiste jacket AND delicious pink hair.

    Tara
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG the pink hair with the jacket- you look awesome!

    My favourite hair look on you so far Sarah.

    This sounds like a really fun concept, I love the printed shift dress one of the models is wearing too, do you know who it's by?

    Sophie xx

    http://www.lafashionfolie.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Due to spam I've had to disable anonymous commenting, I'm sorry.