Tuesday 19 June 2012

MR BOND, I EXPECT YOU TIE DYE

Whilst Goldfinger may have had to wait a long time for Mr Bond to tie dye anything (that man never has any downtime; plus I'm not sure it sits so well with the suave look) I have been rather keen on dying, bleaching, ripping, cutting, and studding my clothes as of late. It's mainly because I've been craving a fresh look without the budget to match, but also it's a whole lot of good clean fun. 

So a request from Lois at Carrot Top couldn't have come at a better time: Dirty Fresh Laundry wanted to send me a brand new t-shirt, then I was to customise it in any which way I could. YES. Basically a licence to go crazy. 

When it arrived it looked like this:


Photobucket
The t-shirt is of an excellent quality, totally opaque, and the print is the sort that will age pleasingly. Just a heads up on sizing: I'm a 10-12 on top and this is a men's small. I ordered in that size as I thought I'd have a little extra fabric to play with but it's quite fitted, so just a warning for when you order.

First things first - protect your bath, or wherever you choose to tie dye. I don't want any mums or landlords after my guts! The binbag in my bath was fairly futile but it did help a little, and whenever I got dye on the porcelain, floor, or anywhere, I cleaned it up straight away - you just don't know how it will stain, and you're better safe than sorry, no?


Photobucket
After that I prepared my t-shirt. I followed Shannon's advice - holding the tee in the middle, spin it around so it's like a coil. Tie bands or string around to keep in place. The tighter you tie, the more white space will be left.

Photobucket
You can be as creative as you like with this - when researching tie dyes I found this page and loved all the different dye shapes, so since my boyfriend has been nagging for a tie dye tee for a while, I decided to experiment a little with the shape of his.
Photobucket
Now it's time to make the dye. Glove up! Again, the dye might stain your skin, or worse - you might be allergic to it. Be careful.
Photobucket
I could only find Dylon machine wash dyes (is it me or are dyes harder to find now? In my teens I'm sure I could pick them up from the supermarket or my local chemist. Anyway, I digress) in Flamingo Pink and Ocean Blue, so I made them up in bottles with sports lids (another great tip from Shannon). I only had one sports lid bottle so carved a hole in a normal lid. Again, be careful! I used one part salt, one part dye, and four parts warm water.
Photobucket
Then I attacked my tees with the dyes. I began gingerly but ended up throwing the two full bottles over two t-shirts. I unravelled them to check how I was doing - the long, thin patterned one looked amazing how it was, but the spiral one needed a bit more colour. I opened it out and added more colour to suit.
Photobucket Photobucket
Leave your tee for at least an hour. I left mine all afternoon, conscious of the fact I'd used machine washing dye! I don't have any space in my flat to hang them - especially due to our cream carpet - so placed them in buckets. Use this time to clean the bathroom, think of outfits to wear with your tee, have a brew, daydream about Michael Fassbender.. you get the picture. Then rinse, using a little bit of fabric washing powder or liquid.

Photobucket
After waiting all afternoon I couldn't wait any longer so bunged them in the tumble dryer after they'd drained for ten minutes. My brief from Dirty Fresh Laundry was to customise this tee in any which way possible, so a few knots and studs later, my tee was finally finished.
Photobucket
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
This tee will almost certainly be most at home on my next trip to Ibiza.. but until then will make the perfect layering piece. I really think the key here is to have a go - I haven't tie dyed since Brownies and even then I probably wasn't responsible enough to do any of the process. Admittedly I like the pattern on my boyfriend's tee better - I will have to get him to model it - but the beauty of tie dye is that you're not completely sure how the pattern will work out. Let me know if you do try, and send me pictures of your dye pattern!

16 comments:

  1. So much fun! It looks great. I've got some dye I'm waiting to use for a dip dye, might have to go back to the ninties and find some tees to tiedye at the same time!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks brilliant! I may have to bite the bullet and get a cheapie t-shirt to give it a go myself! :)

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing DIY. Everything you did to it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good shall have to try it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours is so nice!!!! I really like the fringe knots at the bottom :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. twin posts! my post today is also tie dye themed.
    great minds, eh?!
    Faboosh DIY Dotty!

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent DIY, just what I've been looking for! SUPER MEGA FRESH. Love it - found yourself a new fan.

    Care to return the follow? :)

    www.ameliaisnotcross.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. Such a good good good blessed DIY. The top is absolutely amazing, I want it for my holiday!! Everyone does do tie dye DIY's and make it look so easy but I can't even sew a hem on a skirt or mend a button let alone do anything else. Do more t-shirts, or even sell them! I betcha people will buy them.

    Gemma x

    www.gemmasatire.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy, honest! And even when it goes wrong it's right.
      X

      Delete
  9. Great mash up of colour studs and fringing, the black letters really help your T pop,great job!Sharon xx

    http://www.mypassporttostyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks fun!

    xx,
    Meelena

    www.theserialshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. great love it
    gonna try and do it as well :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO glad I just looked at this post. I ruined my Kanye West T shirt by cutting a fringe on it and it just looks STUPID. I'm gonna tie the fringe on that mother bitch right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah just tie stuff, put beads in, plait it..!
      X

      Delete
  13. This is a great DIY, it looks lovely! I really love the colours xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Due to spam I've had to disable anonymous commenting, I'm sorry.